Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sound Off: PepsiCo...

#thatawkardmomentwhen you and your friends are having a deep intellectual conversation and the topic changes to self esteem, race and the role that media plays. Individual self awareness vs. advertising messaging. #storyofmylife

It’s uncomfortable for me because I’m the aspiring advertiser in the room filled with sociology, and chem majors who cast my profession off as evil.I’ve always taken the stance that the responsibility for the way in which we think, the foundation of our beliefs is 50/50. 50 percent lies with societal factors (media) and the other 50 comes from our familial foundation. My friends rebut that it’s  more like 70/30 or 90/10. I get it, young women are very impressionable, and I’ll be lying if I didn’t acknowledge that at the very core, advertising messages are responsible for the way in which we view race, standards of beauty, sexuality etc.  I’ll stop right here and  spare you of all the societal and historical implications. This is not one of my politics papers.

Pepsi has been a reference point for these conversations lately. First it was their Pepsi Max “Love Hurts” SuperBowl spot, now it’s the Diet Pepsi Skinny Can.With all this hoopla, I hope this at least drives their sales. 

After the “Love Hurts” spot ran during Superbowl I received an influx of texts and fb messages asking for my take on the spot. Was it rascist? Was I offended? Do I even care?

I youtubed the spot, I chuckled. It wasn’t knee slapping funny but it was funny.  I do realize there was a reason to be offended by this commercial (pervading stereotypes). It’s a universal story nagging woman keeps her lazy husband in check; this commercial could have been done with a Asian or white couple and to me it would still have the same impact. It’s your choice to be offended; the racial overtones are what they are. This is very tame in comparison to things I have seen on air. Trust me, I’ve seen some pretty questionable commercials (KFC).

Pepsi presented the new slim can during Fashion Week. Pepsi’s Chief Marketing Officer, Jill Beraud announced: "Our slim, attractive new can is the perfect complement to today's most stylish looks, and we're excited to throw its coming-out party during the biggest celebration of innovative design in the world." In addition to celebrating “beautiful, confident women” the brand is collaborating with 10 fashion boutiques, providing them with a custom “Skinny Can Fridge.” The National Disorder Association slammed Pepsi saying that it takes offense, and the company’s comments are thoughtless and irresponsible: "Pepsi should be ashamed for declaring that skinny is to be celebrated.” The cans hit shelves this March.

Had the brand launch not partner with Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week I doubt that there would have been this much controversy surrounding the skinny can. Nowadays restaurants boast that they serve small portions, to look out for your health.Isn’t Pepsi taking the same approach minus the Fashion Week endorsement. Seems to me they were trying to jump on the fit, healthy craze. Fashion Week perfectly aligns with the brand image the skinny can is trying to create. As with all brand partnerships, you assume the other partners baggage, and high fashion comes with  A LOT of baggage. I'm sure the CMO and the good folks at PepsiCo anticipated this backlash, and they probably have something in the works to combat this right? No? Ok then wishful thinking.

Anyway, what say you? Are you offended by any of these spots?
 
Advertiser of the month goes toooooo PepsiCo…YOU WIN 1)you’ve successfully manged to gain my attention 2) I may consider trying Pepsi Max,  just kidding …I prefer Coca-Cola ;) 

Source:
http://www.pepsico.com/PressRelease/Diet-Pepsi-Debuts-its-Sleek-New-Look-at-Mercedes-Benz-Fashion-Week02082011.html

No comments:

Post a Comment